We really enjoyed reading the words en graven in the walls in the Memorial. I am not as familiar with Lincoln's second inaugural address, but I got chills when I read it. Here is a brief, but powerful quote:
"Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said 'the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether'."


Visiting the Vietnam Memorial was also a sobering experience. It is designed so that as you walk down the sidewalk near the wall, the list of names of the servicemen who died grow longer the deeper you go. It was almost overwhelming. I think it felt personal to me because my uncle was killed in Vietnam. I never knew him, but I was born on his birthday. When he was killed, he left behind his lovely wife and five young children. His youngest daughter was an infant. I couldn't help but imagine what that must have been like for my aunt to raise her children alone. They are a wonderful family.
Visiting the Vietnam Memorial was also a sobering experience. It is designed so that as you walk down the sidewalk near the wall, the list of names of the servicemen who died grow longer the deeper you go. It was almost overwhelming. I think it felt personal to me because my uncle was killed in Vietnam. I never knew him, but I was born on his birthday. When he was killed, he left behind his lovely wife and five young children. His youngest daughter was an infant. I couldn't help but imagine what that must have been like for my aunt to raise her children alone. They are a wonderful family.
In this picture we are looking for Uncle Rey's name. The kids made rubbings of his name with pencils and paper the park service provided.
This really was a day of deep thinking and retrospect and respect. We were all touched by the memorials and by the service that so many great men and women have given to preserve freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment