Sunday, May 10, 2009

Fresh Flowers and Fresh Fish!


The United States Botanic Garden is run by Congress. We went here on a rainy afternoon the day after we visited the zoo. It is a lovely green house full of plants from all over the world. The rooms are divided into different habitats. It was a nice place to visit on a rainy day. I would not recommend trying to complete the Junior Botanist program. I thought it would be an educational way to explore the garden, but I ended up talking to myself with my head in a notebook while the kids actually looked at the plants and flowers!
Mara liked the "old man" cactus. Jeffrey discovered the hard way that the barrel cactus has very sharp spines.

These colorful toadstools made us think of fairies.


The children's garden gave us some hands-on experience.


You don't see a pineapple plant every day! Outside of Hawaii anyway.




On the way home, Neil made a spontaneous detour to show us the fish market near the 14th Street bridge. It was quite shocking to the kids. They were already rather suspicious of seafood. Now I think they are permanently against it.


The smell about knocked us over. It lingered with us for quite some time.


No comments: